Industrial Digital Transformation can mean very different things to different companies depending on the needs of the business and where they fall on the digital maturity curve. With such a broad definition, it can be difficult to evaluate software companies on what they can do for you now, versus where they can take you in the future.
What we have noticed regardless of the industry, business requirements, and the digitalisation maturity, the following challenges are common:
Unsuitable technology to extract data from all levels in the manufacturing plant.
Even if you did acquire the right technology, the technology will become obsolete in a few years and will need to be upgraded or replaced.
The procurement process to simply acquire the technology is long and tedious, and only serves to delay the time to value.
So, what if you could overcome all these challenges, or avoid them completely? What if Edge to Enterprise can be made simpler?
Firstly, identify your business needs.
Do you have numerous edge devices that need to be managed remotely? Do you need robust HMI and SCADA capabilities? Do you want to interface with your ERP software (Enterprise Resource Planning) for an enterprise-level view of the business? Do you want to incorporate Cloud and IIoT technologies? Do you want to integrate multiple levels of the business?
If yes, then we have you covered with AVEVA’s Monitor and Control portfolio. This portfolio consists of several fit-for-purpose solutions to extract data from edge to enterprise.
You don’t need to predict the future, you just need to be ready for it!
One of the biggest barriers to adopting new technologies is often that software advances outpace the life cycles of industrial machines. To avoid becoming outdated or obsolete, many businesses must look ahead ten or fifteen years and hope they’re making the choices that will allow them to be competitive as their systems age and grow.
The best way to avoid being locked in to obsolete systems is to find a software partner with a commitment to staying ahead of the technology curve. It’s also important to find a partner with a commitment to platform agnostic software, ensuring that you can connect to any data source and deploy applications anywhere you need them. From HMI visualization on smartphones and tablets, to a huge dashboard of the entire enterprise-view of your business, you need to select a software partner that will enable you to choose best-in-breed hardware and be flexible as you change and iterate over the years.
Download the Full Scope of AVEVA's Edge to Enterprise Capabilities
Subscription or Perpetual?
There are cases where it makes sense to choose either subscription pricing over perpetual licenses. Here are a few key questions to ask yourself whether it’s best to get either a perpetual license or use the AVEVA Flex subscription licensing for your systems.
Are you only planning on using one software solution for the entire life-cycle of your system?
Are you planning on using a mix of software solutions, or want to experiment?
Are you only using one now, but might want to add cloud or edge management later?
Do you want to organise your operations into a unified operations center where you have a dashboard of points to monitor from across the entire supply chain?
You may want to choose a perpetual license if:
- You only plan to use one product from the full edge to enterprise portfolio.
- Your application is fewer than 30,000 tags, and you don’t plan to expand it.
You may want to choose subscription licensing if:
- You want to remove the upfront financial burdens of software investment and align costs with value.
- You aren’t sure yet exactly which products in the edge to enterprise portfolio you’ll end up using.
- You want the freedom to experiment with different software solutions.
- You plan on integrating more of the business in the future, and want to have options for adding new features or creating different architectures.
- You want the flexibility to build a system that exactly meets your needs, without being locked into any one software.
- You are looking for financial flexibility in how software investments are accounted to help improve cash flow and bolster profitability.
A look at AVEVA's Edge to Enterprise Portfolio:
AVEVA has the broadest and deepest monitoring and control software portfolio on the market. Here’s a quick overview of some of the software options, from Edge to Enterprise:
Edge management, and a full HMI/SCADA software. InTouch Edge HMI runs on small-footprint devices like a Raspberry Pi, all the way up to server level operating systems, and has web thin client options to monitor or control your HMI from the web, tablets, and smartphones.
The classic InTouch offers powerful HMI. Used in 1/3 of industrial facilities worldwide, InTouch HMI offers advanced graphics and remote web viewing capabilities.
Citect SCADA offers a serious SCADA software solution for data-heavy processes that require thousands or hundreds of thousands of tags. Out-of-the-box situational awareness capabilities and a intuitive context aware workspace are redefining SCADA visualization and streamlining engineering efficiency.
System Platform is a responsive, scalable solution for supervisory, SCADA, HMI, and IIoT applications that integrates the process with the enterprise. System Platform provides a collaborative, standards-based foundation that unifies people, processes, and assets across all facilities for continuous operational improvement and real-time decision support.
Enhance decision-making and accelerate collaboration across the enterprise. AVEVA Historian captures and store high-fidelity industrial data, bridging the IT-OT gap to improve operational performance.
Insight Empowers end-users and solution builders with a secure, managed cloud solution for collecting, storing, and visualizing process and performance data.
Where to go from here?
Are you ready to begin exploring some of the options anywhere among the spectrum of Edge to Enterprise solutions AVEVA has to offer?
To learn more, read our related Blog posts:
- Where to start with your Digitalisation Journey?
- What’s New in Citect SCADA 2018 R2
- Customer Success: Sasol Transitioning to a High-Performance HMI
- Customer Success: Transnet achieves ROI through SCADA modernisation and standardisation
- Customer Success: Hidro-Tech uses Wonderware InTouch Edge to ensure customer satisfaction
- Customer Success: Namibia Breweries driving down production cost using Wonderware Historian
- Making Sense of Industrial Big Data with Wonderware Historian
- Oranjevis- Wonderware software delivers a 50% reduction in Control System Maintenance costs